Friday, April 18, 2008

Why is This Night Different From All Other Nights?

Because even though it is not Passover until tomorrow (Saturday) night, you still need to eat on Passover dishes and eat Passover food, since the cleaning has to be done before Shabbat. (If you're following the tradition, that is -- as we do in my house.) In fact, strictly speaking, you can't even eat Matza tonight, since you're not supposed to eat it until the first Seder.

So why is this night different from all other nights? Because tonight, you get Passover food without Matza.*

Unlike the seder, that's unique. Only one night a year -- not even: only one night in those years that Passover starts on Saturday night.

Anyway, since we have guests this weekend, let me prepare for the Sabbath, and the holiday, by wishing all of my readers to whom it applies (or who wish it to apply to them), a happy Passover. (And, since I liked 'em, I'll recycle my posters from last year.)





(Compilations made with this site; click images for larger versions.)

__________________________
* You can eat egg Matza, apparently, which is one way to do lechem mishna. So that sentence is an exaggeration.

No comments: